What You Need To Know About Pests In Florence, KY
Insects and rodents are common household pests. Being pests means they regularly find their way into places they don't belong, like our Florence homes. The more you know about our region's most common pests, the easier it will be to make your property unappealing to them!
Ants trailing throughout our Florence homes is something every homeowner is likely to deal with at one time or another. Some of the most common species in our region include black ants, destructive carpenter ants, stinging fire ants, red ants, and sugar ants. Since most ants look very similar, the best way to identify those on your property is with the help of a professional.
Controlling and preventing problems with ants is difficult because our properties offer them access to the things they need to survive. The three most common attractants are food, water, and shelter. Ants are social insects and great communicators; those two reasons are why just a few ants in your kitchen can turn into hundreds quickly.
Ants are tiny insects that will take advantage of any small opening in your home to use as an entry point. Use the following tips to stop ants from moving in and out of your home as they please.
- Check over your home's foundation, and using caulk, fill in any cracks you discover.
- Install door sweeps and make sure weatherstripping around windows and doors is intact.
- Cut back trees and bushes back from your home's exterior.
- Fill in spaces around utilities entering your home.
For the best home pest control in Florence, don't hesitate to contact us today.
Bed bugs are biting pests; their sole source of nutrition comes from the blood of their warm-blooded animal hosts. Like any other living creature, they live near their food sources. Unfortunately for us, humans are their preferred hosts. Bed bugs are a prevalent pest problem and regularly invade our homes and businesses.
Bed bugs are apple seed-shaped wingless insects. They can't jump or fly, but that doesn't stop them from moving efficiently across cities, states, and countries. Though bed bugs are often associated with messy, cluttered houses, these hitchhiking pests can make their way into any of our homes. Never be embarrassed by bed bugs in your home or hesitate to get help for a bed bug infestation; the faster you seek professional help, the better!
Help guard your home and your family's sleep against bed bugs using the following prevention tips:
- Regularly wash and inspect your family's bedding, mattresses, and box spring for bed bug activity.
- Always check secondhand items for bed bugs before bringing them into your home.
- Routinely vacuum and steam clean your carpets and upholstered furniture.
- Place bed bug-proof covers on all mattresses and box springs in your home.
Look no further for bed bug control near you; call us today!
Cockroaches are one of the most feared pests for homeowners to discover in their homes. These pests enter our homes, hide in dark recesses, and travel across surfaces foraging for food. As if those things weren't bad enough, cockroaches pose a significant health risk. These scavenging pests come into contact with a lot of decaying debris. On their bodies and legs and within their feces, they carry a lot of human pathogens, parasites, and viruses that can make us very ill.
Cockroaches are adaptable and can live successfully in almost any indoor or outdoor space. In our region, German, American, and oriental cockroaches regularly invade our homes and businesses. In contrast, wood cockroaches like to live outside in wooded areas and around woodpiles. No matter the species, all cockroaches pose a threat inside our homes and require the immediate attention of a pest control expert.
Use the tips below to lessen the chances of sharing your home with cockroaches.
- Stop cockroaches from easily moving in and out of your home by caulking cracks and other openings in its exterior.
- Inspect deliveries, secondhand items, and firewood you bring into your home for hitchhiking cockroaches.
- Keep all food either in the fridge or containers with airtight lids.
- Regularly vacuum and clean your home to remove food debris and dislodge hiding critters.
Professional cockroach control is the best way to eliminate and prevent problems with cockroaches.
Fleas & Ticks
Fleas are wingless insects, while ticks are a type of arachnid. Both are blood-feeding pests we don't want taking over our Florence yards. Cat fleas, dog fleas, and deer ticks are common in our region. Despite their names, they feed on the blood of many hosts, including people, dogs, cats, rodents, and wildlife.
Keeping fleas and ticks out of our yards is frustrating because their wild animal hosts regularly introduce them. When mice, squirrels, raccoons, or deer are foraging for food or traveling across your yard, they leave behind unwanted guests; fleas and ticks. Fleas and ticks can find their way into your home after you, your kids or your pets come into contact with these pests. In addition, rodent infestations can cause a problem with these pests in our homes. No matter how fleas and ticks find their way inside, one thing is for sure; no one should share their home with these pests.
Preventing problems with outdoor pests like fleas and ticks is difficult; use the following tips to help control their numbers.
- Always keep your yard's grass cut short.
- Cut back shrubs and bushes, and remove other shady areas near your home's perimeter.
- Make your property less attractive to wild animals by keeping lids on trash cans and removing wild animal and bird feeders.
Call today to get rid of ticks and fleas from your property.
Rodents live outside all around us. Whether we call the suburbs, a city, or rural areas home, rodents live near our homes. They are prolific breeders and can easily take over any indoor or outdoor space that meets their basic needs. In Florence, examples of rodents that invade our homes and business are mice, Norwegian rats, and roof rats.
It's never a question of if mice and rats will invade our homes, but rather when, and when they invade, they are more than a nuisance. They pose significant threats to people and the structure of our homes. Rodents spread human pathogens, parasites, and allergens. They also cause structural damage by chewing on wires, pipes, cables, flooring, and cabinets. If those things weren't enough, rodents are known for causing holes in upholstered furniture, rugs, clothing, and pillows as they gather nesting materials.
Help guard your home and family against rodents and their dangers using the following prevention tips:
- Eliminate clutter that can provide rodents with hiding spots in your home.
- Repair any defects in your home's exterior. Keep screens on chimneys and vents leading into your home.
- Eliminate food sources that will attract the attention of rodents; keep lids on trash cans, remove bird feeders, and keep outdoor eating areas clear of food debris.
Regular home and commercial pest control services are the best way to prevent problems with rodents and other common pests; contact Pest Guard Exterminating.
Termites cause billions of dollars in damages across the country each year. Unfortunately, these wood-eating insects thrive in Florence. They are destructive pests we need to keep away from the structures of our homes and other buildings. We always advise being proactive in guarding your Ohio home against termites and the damage their feeding habits cause.
In our region, two species are most problematic; subterranean termites and drywood termites. Subterranean termites build underground nests in areas with damp soil and prefer to feed on wet or decaying pieces of wood. Drywood termites nest inside the pieces of wood they use as a food source and choose dry or sound pieces of wood. Either type of termite finding its way into your home is a recipe for disaster. Though termite damage doesn't happen overnight, termites left to their own devices will cause extensive and costly damage.
Help guard your home against termites using the following prevention tips:
- Always inspect any wood or wooden items you bring into your home for holes in their exterior and other signs of termite damage.
- Quickly replace water-damaged wood in or on your home.
- Remove fallen trees and other decaying wood from your property.
- Repair holes and cracks you discover in your home's exterior.
For top-notch termite control in Florence, call Pest Guard Exterminating today!
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Wonderful Service!! Highly recommend! I use Pestgaurd for all of my properties & recommend them to anyone! At my personal home, I enjoy their quarterly general pest treatments so we never have any bugs!"